Hydrocodone/chlorpheniramine (By mouth)
Chlorpheniramine (klor-fen-IR-a-meen), Hydrocodone (hye-droe-KOE-done)
Treats cough and other symptoms of a cold or allergies. This medicine contains a narcotic.
TussiCaps, Tussionex PennkineticThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to hydrocodone or chlorpheniramine, or if you have severe lung or breathing problems, or stomach or bowel blockage (including paralytic ileus).
How to Use This Medicine:
Long Acting Capsule, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- An overdose can be dangerous. Follow directions carefully so you do not get too much medicine at one time.
- Do not mix this medicine with other liquids or other medicines.
- Oral liquid: Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. Shake the medicine well before you use it. Rinse the measuring device or dosing spoon after each use.
- Swallow the extended-release capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Drink plenty of liquids to help avoid constipation.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Drop off any unused narcotic medicine at a drug take-back location right away. If you do not have a drug take-back location near you, flush any unused narcotic medicine down the toilet. Check your local drug store and clinics for take-back locations. You can also check the DEA web site for locations. Here is the link to the FDA safe disposal of medicines website: www.fda.gov/drugs/resourcesforyou/consumers/buyingusingmedicinesafely/ensuringsafeuseofmedicine/safedisposalofmedicines/ucm186187.htm
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine if you are using or have used an MAO inhibitor within the past 14 days.
- Some medicines can affect how hydrocodone/chlorpheniramine works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Carbamazepine, digitalis, erythromycin, ketoconazole, phenytoin, rifampin, ritonavir
- Diuretic (water pill)
- Medicine to treat anxiety, depression, or mental health problems (including benzodiazepine medicine)
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol. Tell your doctor if you are also using butorphanol, nalbuphine, pentazocine, or a muscle relaxer.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, Addison disease, an enlarged prostate or trouble urinating, glaucoma, heart disease, high blood pressure, asthma, pancreas problems, stomach or bowel problems, or thyroid problems. Tell your doctor if you have a history of head injury, seizures, or drug or alcohol addiction.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Respiratory depression (severe breathing problem)
- Increased risk of overdose, which can lead to death
- Increased risk of seizures
- Low blood pressure
- Adrenal gland problems
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- This medicine may cause constipation, especially with long-term use. Ask your doctor if you should use a laxative to prevent and treat constipation.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- This medicine could cause infertility. Talk with your doctor before using this medicine if you plan to have children.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments. Call your doctor if your cough does not improve or if it gets worse within 5 days.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blue lips, fingernails, or skin, trouble breathing
- Changes in skin color, dark freckles
- Extreme dizziness or weakness, shallow breathing, slow heartbeat, seizures, cold, clammy skin
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
- Severe constipation or stomach pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth or throat
- Mild constipation, nausea, or vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 5/1/2020
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and chrome browser.