Cefotetan (By injection)
Treats infections caused by bacteria. This medicine is a cephalosporin antibiotic.
CefotanThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to cefotetan or any other cephalosporin antibiotic.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle or through one of your veins.
- This medicine should be given by a person trained to give IV or IM medicines, such as a nurse. You, a family member, or a friend can be taught to give your medicine.
- If you are receiving IV medicine, check the bag to make sure there are no leaks. Also make sure the solution is clear.
- Missed dose: You must use this medicine on a fixed schedule. Call your doctor or pharmacist if you miss a dose.
- Store this medicine in a refrigerator. Do not freeze. Take it out of the refrigerator 1 hour before your next dose and allow it to warm to room temperature in a clean, dry place.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any leftover medicine, containers, and other supplies. Throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Throw away used needles in a hard, closed container that the needles cannot poke through. Keep this container away from children and pets.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how cefotetan works. Tell your doctor if you are taking an aminoglycoside, such as amikacin, gentamicin, streptomycin, or tobramycin.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you had an allergic reaction to penicillin, or you have liver or kidney disease or a history of colitis.
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Use this medicine only to treat the infection your doctor has prescribed it for. Do not use this medicine for any infection that has not been checked by a doctor.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Severe diarrhea (watery or bloody), vomiting, or stomach pain
- Swelling, pain, or redness where your injection was given
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
- Mild skin rash
- Vaginal itching or discharge
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 5/1/2020
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and chrome browser.