Do you have questions about allergy testing, allergy shots, or how to avoid the things that trigger your allergies? Do you wonder what medicine is available?
The following step-by-step guide will help you take control and reduce your allergy symptoms!
- I. Let's Get Started
- Step 1: What is an allergy?
- Step 2: The role of the immune system
- Step 3: What substances cause allergies?
- Step 4: Allergy-related conditions
- II. Testing and Screening
- Step 5: Should you see an allergist?
- Step 6: Allergy testing and diagnosis
- III. Treating and Managing Allergies
- Step 7: Introduction to allergy treatment
- Step 8: Avoid allergy triggers
- Step 9: Types of allergy medication
- Step 10: Over-the-counter versus prescription drugs
- Step 11: Immunotherapy
- Step 12: You and your doctor are a team
Allergens and Irritants
Reviewed By: Paula J. Busse, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Division of Clinical Immunology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.